PRACTICE
living, thinking and writing


Saturday, June 11, 2005  

From Seattle, with love

First, I do not travel as much as it appears in my blog. But, I just came back from Seattle. That’s the second time, and Seattle has never been overcast or gloomy to me. In the contrary, it’s been sunny, green and sweet-aired both times I was there. I stayed by the Lake Union this time. Daylight is so long at this time of the year. We sat in a sushi restaurant by the waterfront about 8:30 in the evening, and just in time to catch the sunset and its flowing colors on the water, very nice.

Downtown Seattle is warmly chic instead of threateningly cosmopolitan. White people is very white (compared to tanned Californian), yellow is not very yellow and black is not very black. I got a bottle of ‘water for peace’ from a street vendor and its label instructs how to send a message in a bottle to White House. Later I took a bus to Capitol Hill and see a lot of coffee houses with people reading in front, a lot of colorful hair and a lot of men holding hands.

Public transportation is not the most convenient one, but luckily I got friendly locals for help. Just coming back NYC where everyone looks busy and focused, I was flattered when not only one people come up to offer help when I stood dazed at the middle of the road. While you are ordered to get out of bus for short of a dime in LA, the Seattle driver only wanted to accept one dollar even you paid him two. Both town car drivers (I should say graceful gentlemen) that drove us from and to the airport are both emigrating Seattle from the Northeast, and they talked like Seattle ambassadors, even to us two Californians who they say are responsible for the rising house price in Seattle these two years. Is it just me that feel the security check in Seattle is the friendliest and most thorough, however, consequently, the slowest one, among all these big cities? Well, being slow is better than being perfunctory and inhuman, I guess.

posted by lmeimei @1:17 AM| permanent link| |
email me
about me
image
www.flickr.com
blog links
Reading now
cover
Guns Germs Steel
cover
Python Web Programming
cover
Paul Guaguin: the writings of Savage
just read
cover
Freakonomics
cover
Love in the time of Cholera
cover
Edward Hopper
archives
blogger's tools
Inlink and Outlink
indexed by organica.us
Blogroll Me!
technorati cosmos
Whereis
Ineedhits
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com