PRACTICE
living, thinking and writing


Sunday, February 26, 2006  


From China, with love

I go to an event of Asian Engineer Association with Bin yesterday. The head of Microsoft Asian Technology Center holds a session introducing employment in China. To lure the attendant hearers to come to work in China, he shows some pictures of landscape of Beijing and Shanghai-new skyscrapers stretch to horizon, comparable to any international cities, the brilliant city light that hurn your eyes, stylish pubs and coffee houses, and the deep alley and old house near Forbidon cities (cultural needs), followed by a stack of photos of colorful Chinese dishes; finally a not-so-artistical photo with the complacent man had his feet massaged by a young lady, which, the speaker claimed that “you can only afford 10 minutes at the airport in the US”. That’s quite a presentation in terms of showing the country’s charm. Eat, drink and massage. When I was growing up in China, we were told that the evil capitalism tried to poison our pure mind with materialism and consumerism. Heck now, seems my mother country nowadays knows exactly how to buy the heart of people overseas.
Those static image of food really makes me very homesick and want to fly home the next day. Maybe it’s just my stomach and month that got homesick. What depresses me the most is the frustration of finding some good Chinese food in Seattle (not able to go to Vancuver yet), and the damage is even bigger than the gloomy winter. Well, maybe it’s the combination of the both that kills the cow (me, and I don’t know why I will invent such expression)… Anyway, guess, if not my heart, at least my stomach is bought by this presentation.

posted by lmeimei @7:45 PM| permanent link| |
email me
about me
image
www.flickr.com
blog links
Reading now
cover
Guns Germs Steel
cover
Python Web Programming
cover
Paul Guaguin: the writings of Savage
just read
cover
Freakonomics
cover
Love in the time of Cholera
cover
Edward Hopper
archives
blogger's tools
Inlink and Outlink
indexed by organica.us
Blogroll Me!
technorati cosmos
Whereis
Ineedhits
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com